Race Forward is currently seeking volunteers for Facing Race, the largest multiracial, intergenerational gathering for organizers, educators, creatives, and other leaders. The last Facing Race was Race Forward’s largest ever, with over 3,400 attendees, from 7 different countries. Our 2020 conference, happening from November 12th to 14th in Raleigh, NC is expected to be even bigger, and we are looking for enthusiastic and reliable volunteers to help make this event a success. In exchange, volunteers will have the opportunity to participate and contribute in one of the largest racial justice conferences. We will also give volunteers deeply discounted registration to the conference and special events.
Volunteers are needed for:
- Pre-conference preparation: Bag stuffing, assisting with transporting materials and equipment at the Cobo Center, phone calls, registration outreach – especially at universities and community organizations.
- Registration/Information: Hall greeters, assisting with general registration and materials distribution to participants and sponsors/exhibitors, staffing information desk, assisting with press registration table.
- Special events support: Assisting with talent and crowd control, greeters, ushers, stage handlers.
- Workshop support: Workshop monitors (help set up, attend session, explain and collect evaluations, assist presenters as needed), interpreting for conference participants or presenters.
- Multi-media support: Assisting with video-taping/tape recording of sessions and interviews as assigned, stage assistance (please note: individuals for multi-media volunteer positions must have prior experience).
- Overall conference support: Supporting staff show office, runners between various areas (including the exhibit hall, registration area and workshop rooms), tracking equipment, copying, etc.
- Fundraising support: Assisting with setup for fundraising asks (envelope distribution, table tents, etc.) and collecting donation envelopes as assigned.
- Participate in one of the largest conferences dedicated to racial justice in the world
- Form networks with individuals from across the U.S. interested in racial justice
- Meet and work with the Race Forward staff and Board
- Receive a letter of confirmation for your participation
Volunteer Requirements and Commitment:
- Anyone 18 and older who can provide Race Forward with volunteer services from Thursday, November 12, 2020 to Saturday, November 14, 2020 in exchange for deeply discounted tickets to the Conference and special events.You must be on time, dressed appropriately, and have worked the agreed-upon hours to receive your discount.
- Once accepted, volunteers must register on Cvent and pay a $50.00 processing fee. A Facing Race registration is valued at over $500 per person. While this registration fee is waived for volunteers, volunteers are asked to pay a $50.00 processing fee. This nominal processing fee helps Race Forward to provide meals and conference materials to volunteers.
- Volunteers are required to complete at least one full conference day of service (total of 12hours, can be divided throughout the preparation days and conference days) to avail of the free conference registration (valued at $500), not including the $50.00 processing fee.
Volunteers are required to attend an orientation session in person or via teleconference. Date and time are to be determined. An on-site orientation is also required at the start of the conference.
The deadline to submit is June 22, 2020!
Volunteer Acceptance will be announced in July 2020.